Transfer Policy of Income Tax Department: the best in SSC?

This post has been converted to a YouTube video. You can watch it here –

Watch the video on YouTube by clicking here. Don’t forget to like and subscribe if you liked the video.

The Income Tax Department has a very transparent, accommodating & employee friendly transfer policy. It’s a norm in the department to rotate its executive officers from non-assessment posting to assessment postings every three years. Inspectors and above are known as Executive officers.

Other than this, they have a policy of annual transfers in place, known as The Annual General Transfers (AGT). The orders for transfers of ITO and below are passed under the authority of the Pr. Chief Commissioner of the Income Tax (Pr. CCIT) of that Region. The transfers of ACIT (Assistant Commissioner of Income Tax) and above are done by the Board (CBDT).

As the ACIT and above are IRS officers, they are eligible for all India transfers. (Everybody who is promoted to the post of an ACIT is awarded the tag of IRS. And Income Tax Department is the only department in SSC which awards the tag of a Central Civil Service to a non-UPSC qualifier).

By default, the ITO and below are not eligible for a transfer outside their region. But fret not, if you want to change your region (for e.g. from Tamilnadu to your home in Delhi), you may request for an Inter Charge Transfer.

Income tax department has a very wide network of its offices, almost one per district. If you have an income tax office in your district and you want home posting, then this department may be an excellent choice for you. I have seen several officers who have spent their entire life in their native districts.

See the list of Income-tax offices here (look Page 142 onward. To search for your station, press ctrl+F in the enclosed pdf and search for your district)

The AGT is done at the time of May-June every year. They release and distribute the transfer forms in every Income Tax Office in the month of February so that the employees can fill in three of their preferred place of postings in the order and submit the form. Contrast this with the transfer policy of CBI.

If an employee wants a transfer at any cost or does not want transfer due to some personal reason, he may approach the Income Tax Employee Federation (ITEF) and they will help you in that. ITEF is an employee union for Inspectors and below. It is an excellent grievance redressal platform which does get you justice if you have been wronged by the department. ITO and above have IT-GOA (Gazetted Officers Association) as their union.

The orders of the transfer are generally passed in the first week of May. The employees are entitled to 2 weeks leave after the transfer. If an employee doesn’t wish to avail the leave, these will be added to his Earned Leave balance, which can be encashed at the time of retirement.

Other than this, he is also entitled to a transfer allowance equal to his 90% of his basic pay. It means for an Inspector, this allowance comes out at 90% of Basic = .9 * 44900 = Rs. 40,410/-. (Add link to the salary of an Inspector of Income Tax)

In addition to this, he can also claim the ‘disturbance allowance’ of the amount equal to your Basic+DA. For an Inspector, this allowance calculates to a handsome amount of:   Rs. 44900 + 7% of 44900 = Rs. 48,043/-. (DA is 7% of the basic pay as on 28.06.2018)

Total amount an Inspector can claim = Rs. 40410 + Rs. 44900 = Rs. 85,310/-. (Not a bad deal, I’d say).

Suggested reading:

  1. Should you go for Inspector of Income Tax or for Sub-inspector of CBI?
  2. How many leaves does a CBI Sub-Inspector get: theoretically and practically?
  3. Part : 3 MythBusters | What are the facilities enjoyed by an SI of CBI?

Got a query? Dump it in the comments and we’ll help you out.

%d bloggers like this: